Monday, May 31, 2010

“The whole is greater than the sum of its parts”


I think that in order for our students to realize the benefits of this phrase we need to encourage them to collaborate as much as possible. They need to see firsthand how putting their minds together can help them come up with amazing ideas that they couldn’t have came up with individually. Once they learn this the same philosophy will be naturally transferred to the use of web tools.

When encouraging the students to use the Internet we need to model how we are not using it solely as a resource from which information could be drawn but also that we ourselves can by contributing to various discussions become a source of information. I myself learned that if I can’t find the exact piece of information I am looking for posting a question on a forum or a blog can help. My question can further get someone else's mind going and taking into consideration different perspectives we can together come up with a solutions. So next time a student comes and says I tried to find the answer to my question online but couldn’t we can try to look for it together and post a questions, contribute to a discussions, connect to people of similar interest etc. I think that the best way for them to realize that finding information is a process is to engage them into one and let them see that there is a lot more to it than simply typing the word and pressing enter.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting point. Collaboration isn't just about forming habits of open-mindedness and preparing them for the model of future workplaces. It also helps them understand how connecting information and recognizing patterns works to build the collective knowledge base. Cool.

    "...we can try to look for it together and post a questions, contribute to a discussions, connect to people of similar interest etc." This approach to helping students who can't find information online is fantastic. You've heard the addage, "Every teacher is a language teacher." Well I would like to posit that I consider every teacher to be a communications teacher as well. If communications involves computers and the Internet then so be it. One day it will be mobile devices and we will be expected to fluent in them too if we are truly obliged to prepare children for adulthood. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually thank you for creating this program! I enjoyed learning about new tools and each time I incorporated some of them in my teaching the kids responded great!

    ReplyDelete