Monday, April 26, 2010

Then and Now

Think back a few years to how you used to use your computer. Describe any changes you've noticed over that time. Finally, make some predictions about your computer use in 2013.


Before I had my ancient laptop I was always afraid that figuring out how to use different features of computer could lead to erasing valuable files and causing it to breakdown.:)

I got my first computer back when I was in high school. At that time I remember we were learning the basics of MS DOS exploring commands such as time, date, cd, color, dir etc. Whether it will come a day when I will find these things applicable remains to be seen. However, better things were coming my way. Soon enough we started learning different ways of editing text in Microsoft Word and just when I thought things are finally making sense our teacher decided that we spent enough time in a computer lab and that we should go back to the white board and do some Basic Pascal programming…. Oh those days of horror.

At home I couldn’t wait for a friend of mine to come over and set my first Internet dial up connection. I clearly remember his explanation of what Internet is all about. He said that anything I could think of can be found online. Inexperience spoke out of me and I asked him to further clarify his words. He said, I quote – You see this door (pointing at my door) you can find information regarding this very same door online. And I thought to myself I couldn’t be more illuminated :)

Then came the days of advices coming from different experts each having their own explanation of why I should/shouldn’t be using a certain program followed by deleting and installing stuff. When I got tired of this I decided to seek help. This was the key of becoming accustomed to using a computer. All fear was gone and help menu became a true friend of mine.

Today Internet is the most valuable resource for me whether I’m preparing class activities, cooking dinner, figuring out ways to get to a certain location, reading news, socializing with people from other parts of the world etc.

Looking at people who lost the battle with technology I sometimes wonder am I going to become one of them as time passes. Will I be stuck using Microsoft Word when every one else turn to some other way advanced program. I hope not! So far I’m keeping up!:)

3 comments:

  1. Having in mind that v. "illuminate" is one of your favourites, I just feel honoured... :P

    Nice text, except that I could't agree on the last point: MS Word became so advanced that I'm not able to wrap my mind around it anymore... :D

    Cheers to the smart guy out there who said: "Less is more".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe me, you won't be using any of that MS DOS language, ever. I would also suggest MS Word and its firmly hard-drive anchored feet are no match for the collaborative functionality of a web-based Google Docs suite.

    I too wonder when the day will come when I get left in the technology dust. The interesting thing is that every now and then a technology will come along that will allow you to leapfrog everyone before you. For example, I used to code html to create websites while teaching in Canada, then along came DIY sites and hey presto - you had a website in minutes. Or, think of the rapid expansion of mobile phone computing in the 3rd World. There are countries out there you've never heard of rivaling the cell-phone connectivity and use of first world nations. I think if you are genuinely interested in communication and learning, technology will never leave you behind - in fact, it's only going to get easier.

    ReplyDelete