Monday, April 19, 2010

Being in a public domain ...

Some people have strong feelings about being in the public domain (meaning their pictures, thoughts, interests... can be potentially accessed by people they don't know). Explain your feelings? How do we address these concerns as teachers and role models? How do we teach this?

I guess I could say I’m among one of those people who have strong feelings about being in the public domain. I was never a big fan of web sites such as Facebook, Myspace etc. However, I am at the same time aware or their good sides and I always end up opening an account and exchanging information. This way I’m balancing between being a bit paranoid and staying open-minded.:) Having never had a bad experience regarding Internet surely helps.

I can’t imagine giving up the ability of having Internet as a resource where everything is just a click away. I also try to encourage my students to fully use it as a resource but to think twice before sharing any personal data online. Since they are very young I feel strongly about supervising the content they have access to both by parents at home and teachers at school. That is the simplest way to make sure they are getting the most out of Internet while at the same time staying safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment